Tuesday, August 17, 2010

GMAT Maths

I spent the evening at Jordan’s house watching him study for the GMAT. I’m not sure I was much help in terms of mechanics and solving strategies, but I provided moral support where I could. Studying for a big test is like anything else: it’s easier when you have a spotter. And it breaks up the monotony when you have someone with whom you can talk through a problem or simply revel in the difficulty. And in that spirit, I figure tonight’s post will be interactive. You too can participate in the fun of GMAT math. Below are a few highlights for you to try at home. Answers will be post on Thursday with Odds and Ends 65.

1. Point O is the center of a circle on which P and Q are points. If the coordinates for P are (-√3, 1), and the coordinates for Q are (s, t), what is the value of s?

  1. 1
  2. √2
  3. √3
  4. 2
2. Scout buys a new car with a fuel efficiency of 25 miles per gallon in the city and 40 miles per gallon on the freeway. On Tuesday, she drives 10 miles in the city and 50 miles on the freeway, what is her total average fuel efficiency for Tuesday?
  1. 26
  2. 28
  3. 34
  4. 36
  5. 38
3. Thanpuii has 5 pieces of wood of varying lengths. The average (arithmetic mean) of the 5 pieces of wood is 124 cm. If the median length is 140 cm, what is the maximum length of the shortest piece of wood?
  1. 90
  2. 100
  3. 110
  4. 130
  5. 140
4. Triangles ABC and BCD are shown in the diagram at right. If line segment AD = 6, what is the length of BC?
  1. 3
  2. 6
  3. 6√2
  4. 6√3
  5. 12
5. Solve for x.
  1. 11
  2. 12
  3. 13
  4. 15
  5. 19
Back to Samoa tomorrow. I hope you’re well. Pictures below.


We took more portraits this afternoon. I really like everything that's going on in this candid photo.


I was called out of my science class sixth period to come take this photo of my pule in situ.


Rugby coaches. Notice that Tone on the far right couldn't be bothered to take off his headphones.

1 comment:

Mom said...

3. b
5. d
Those two I feel confident about. Still working on the others. I think 1 and 2 are both d. but I'm not sure.